St. Landry-Evangeline United Way was first established as the United Givers Fund of Greater Opelousas in 1957 through the vision and leadership of the Opelousas Womans Club members, Mrs. Lorena Christian and Mrs. Edna Kurtz. In 1981, the name changed to United Way of St. Landry, and finally in 1996, The St. Landry-Evangeline United Way.
In 2003, the United Community Health Center was established by St. Landry-Evangeline United Way in Eunice, Louisiana to provide critical medical services and prescription medication to the working uninsured and under insured. The Center was held up the nation as the standard for free community clinics, and received recognition from United Way of America. Today, the clinic, now called the Eunice Community Health Center is independent of United Way, and continues to provide the community with much needed medical services.
In 2007, St. Landry-Evangeline United Way celebrated 50 years of giving and doing what matters!
In 2008, St. Landry-Evangeline United Way piloted The Dolly Parton Imagination Library, a program that provides free, age-appropriate books to children age 0-5. Once again, setting the standard, the program is now replicated by several Louisiana United Ways in the state, and continues to grow throughout the state.
In 2010, a ten-month strategic planning process resulted in the St. Landry-Evangeline United Way's New Horizon Plan, a Roadmap to Success. The plan sets our course toward new partnerships and collaborations that will improve and strengthen our community and increase United Way's value as a community partner and leader.