St. Landry-Evangeline United Way oversees the distribution of federal funds made available through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The funds are to be used by eligible local service agencies to supplement and expand the capacity of existing emergency food and shelter programs in St. Landry and Evangeline Parishes. Funds are not to be used for creating new programs. Under the terms of the grant from the national EFSP board, local agencies selected to receive funds must:
- Be eligible to receive Federal funds
- Have an accounting system
- Practice nondiscrimination
- Have demonstrated the capability to deliver emergency food and/or shelter programs
- Be a private voluntary organization
- Have a voluntary board
Applications are being accepted until February 17, 2023.